Background: The Association of Evangelicals in Africa (AEA) is a Christian umbrella organization, representing National Evangelical Fellowships in all Africa. The membership also includes international Christian Non-Governmental Organizations or development and missionary agencies based in Africa.
Founded in 1966, AEA Headquarters is in Nairobi, Kenya where it is registered as Charitable Christian organization (society). AEA currently comprises 40 National Evangelical Fellowships as full members and continues to work in the remaining countries to bring churches together for a fully fledged National Fellowship. AEA is one of the regional associations of the global evangelical movement—World Evangelical Alliance (WEA).
What We Do
AEA and its members join in common concern to live and proclaim the Good News of Jesus amongst all nations and peoples, seeking holiness, justice, and transformation at every level: individual, family, community, and culture.
Over the years, the initiatives of AEA include the founding of: Bangui Evangelical School of Theology (BEST) in Central Africa Republic for the Francophone region, Africa International University (formerly Nairobi Evangelical Graduate School of Theology) in Kenya for the Anglophone region, Christian Learning Materials Centre (CLMC) in Kenya, Africa Christian Television (ACT/PEMA) in Cote d’Ivoire, Accrediting Council for Theological Education in Africa (ACTEA).
These projects have a focus on sound theological and Christian education from childhood to the highest level of scholarship at university level, for effective evangelization and discipleship of the church in Africa. The two theological schools were the first graduate theological schools in sub-Saharan Africa in the modern history of the Church. A landmark publication in our stride for biblical resource is the one volume Africa Bible Commentary, published in 2006.
AEA also works through various commissions; including: Women, Theology and Christian Education, Evangelism and Mission, Ethics, Peace and Justice, Relief and Development, Communication, Youth and Sports, Evangelical Focus on Children and Stewardship and Accountability. The focus is also on leadership development and church mobilization for advancing the Kingdom of God and societal transformation across Africa.
The Association affirms the following as fundamental to Biblical Christian belief:
- THE HOLY SCRIPTURES, as originally given by God, divine, inspired, infallible, entirely trustworthy, and supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct.
- ONE GOD, eternally existent in Three Persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST, God manifest in the flesh, His virgin birth, His sinless human life, His divine miracles, His vicarious and atoning death, His bodily resurrection, His ascension, His mediatorial work, and His personal return in Power and Glory.
- THE SALVATION of lost and sinful humans through the shed blood of the Lord Jesus Christ, by faith apart from works, and regeneration by the Holy Spirit.
- THE HOLY SPIRIT, by whose indwelling the believer is enabled to live a holy life, to witness and work for the Lord Jesus Christ.
- THE UNITY of all those who, having believed in Jesus for their salvation, have been regenerated by the Holy Spirit and compose therefore the Church, the Body of Christ of which He is the Head.
- THE PERSONAL EXISTENCE OF SATAN, whose intent is to oppose God and frustrate His purpose, and whose ultimate end is consignment to eternal punishment.
- THE BODILY RESURRECTION of all the dead; of the believers unto everlasting blessedness and of the unbelievers unto judgment and everlasting punishment.
AEA is a symbol of unity of the body of Christ so that the world would believe (John 17:21). It is the platform or relational space for the different evangelical denominations and ministries; necessary for common identity, action and voice. Christians can faithfully image God only together with other diverse image bearers—partnership in the Gospel (Phil. 1:5).
Evangelicals in Africa united in biblical theology and transformative mission for the expansion of God’s Kingdom.
To mobilize and empower the church for the holistic transformation of communities and societies in Africa.
Dr. Goodwill Shana
Rev. Dr. Youssouff Dembele
Vice – President
Rev. Dr. Mario Li-Hing
Board Chairman & Islands Regional President
Rev. Dr. Aiah Foday-Khabenje
General Secretary / Chief Executive Officer
P.O. Box 49332 – 00100
Bishop Arthur Kitonga
Vice Chairman & Eastern Regional President
Mrs. Emily Chengo
Mrs. Judy Kalinga
Bishop Joe Imakando
South African Region President
Rev. Dr. Wilson Badejo
West African Region President
Rev. Nicolas Guerekoyame-Gbangou
Central Africa Region President
B.P. 342 Bangui,
Pst. Zerihun Degu
North East Africa Region President
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Dr. Daniel Muvengi
World Vision International
Dr. Joseph Mayala
AEA Staff Team
Rev. Dr. Aiah Foday-Khabenje – General Secretary
Fortuna Tioye – PACWA, Executive Secretary
Eunice Njuguna, Finance Manager
Mrs. Catherine Wachira, HR/Admin, Officer
Mr. Jim Olang, Communication Officer
Arnold Okoti – Finance Assistant
Faith Mutua – Reception
David Makutsa – Logistics
- The Holy Scriptures of the Old and the New Testaments (a total of 66 Books) are the Word of God. It is divinely inspired, infallible, entirely trustworthy, and serves as the supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct (2Tim. 3:16-17).
- God is One. The One God is eternally self-existent in three Persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit (Deut. 6:4-5; Mt. 28:19).
- Jesus Christ is Saviour and Lord. As God, He was manifest in the flesh. We believe His virgin birth, His sinless human life, His divine miracles His vicarious and atoning death His bodily resurrection His ascension His present mediatorial work and His future personal return in Power and Glory (Lk. 1:32-33; Jn. 1:1-4; 1Tim. 2:5-6; 6:13-16).
- The Holy Spirit is God. As the third Person in the Godhead, He indwells every believer upon conversion and enables the believer to live a holy life; to witness in power; and to work for the Lord Jesus Christ (Ac. 5:3-4; Mt. 28:19; Ac.1:8).
- Man was made in the image of God and sinless. By choice Man fell out of favour into sin. In God’s mercy, SALVATION comes to every lost and sinful person freely and simply by faith in Jesus Christ who shed His blood for sin and through regeneration by the Holy Spirit (Gen. 1:26-28; 3:1-21; Jn 1:11-13; 1Cor.12:13).
- All true believers in Jesus Christ are One Body, the Church, of which He is the Head (1Cor. 12:13; Eph. 2:14-22).
- Satan is a fallen angel whose intent is to supplant God and frustrate His purpose, and whose ultimate end is consignment to eternal punishment (Lk. 10:17-18; Rev. 20:10).
- Bodily resurrection of all the dead will take place someday. Believers in Christ will rise unto everlasting blessedness while unbelievers will rise unto judgment and everlasting punishment (Rev. 20:11-15; 2Cor. 5:9-10).